October 30, 1864

Vicksburg, Miss. October 30th, 1864

Dear Mother,

Our Regiment starts this morning. Our destination we suppose will be Atlanta, Ga. We go North as far as Cairo, Ill. from thare. I expect we will go up the Ohio River as far as Louisville Ky. from thare we will go by R.R. as far as we can, and then march the remainder of our journey. From Cairo, I will send you my Carpet Bag per express filled with such articles as I will not need. Perhaps you can find use for some of them. Those little pieces of wood I hope you will save. They are from the tree under which Genl. Pemberton surrendered Vicksburg to Genl. Grant. We have not rec our pay yet. I have one dollar which I send you to pay express chgs. I wrote you a few days since which I suppose you have rec. We have rather a bad morning to start. It is quite muddy and raining. I will try and write from Cairo.

Your Affectionate Son
Edward
Direct to "K" Co. 72nd Regt Ill Inft.
To follow Regt. will get it sooner


No comments:

Post a Comment