December 10, 1864

Edward lists his regiment's loss from the Battle of Franklin as 158 killed and wounded - which is quite close to to the number given by this unit history, which states the unit lost 152 enlisted men and 9 officers.


Nashville, Tenn.
Dec. 10th 1864

Dear Mother,

I have not received a letter from you since I left Vicksburg, Miss. I have written several to you since leaving thare. I would like to know if you received that traveling bag and the fifty dollars I sent you per express from Cairo, Ill. We have seen very hard times of it for the past six weeks. The weather here is very cold. It is as much as we can do to keep ourselves from freezing. We have nothing to cover us but little shelter tents and they are open at both ends, but then thare is no use of grumbling. We will have to take it as it comes this winter. Our Regiment is in the Advance so we have not the chance to make ourselves as comfortable as though we was in the rear. The enemy's works are only about a mile from ours. We can see them quite plain from our picket posts. They appear in considerable force in our front. What they intend doing is hard to determine. One day they act as though they intended making an attack and the next they do not show themselves. I think it is the intention as soon as it grows warmer for us to attack them, but I hope not. The Battle of Franklin was almost enough to suit me. Our Regiments loss is one hundred and fifty-eight killed and wounded. I would like to give you the particulars of the fight, but it is too cold. It is as much as I can do to hold my pencil my fingers are so cold. Thare is some cannonading on our left this morning. Well I must stop. Love to all

Your Affectionate
Son Edward

P.S. Do write soon as you receive this.
E



No comments:

Post a Comment