January 31, 1865

Hd. Qrs. 1st Brigade 3rd Div. Detachment A. Tenn.
Eastport, Miss. January 31st, 1865

Dear Sister Lydia,

I've been waiting patiently for a long time to hear from you and seeing as you do not write, I will write and by this, perhaps I shall hear from you once again, which I hope will be ere long. Our campaign has closed for the winter, and we are now having rather easy times compared with that of a few weeks ago. How soon the spring campaign will open I cannot tell, but it is not far off, but if the weather and roads only keep good, I do not care how soon it commences. I expect to see hard work done this spring and summer unless this peace, which is so much talked of at present takes effect. I cannot satisfy my self' that it will, for I'm certain the South can hold out longer, and I do not think it their intention of giving into us so long as they can keep an army or the ghost of one, in the field. It was with this determination they undertook the job, and I think they intend camping it out, but hope I may be mistaken and see peace declared, if honorably tomorrow.

I received a letter from Emma yesterday, which I've answered this evening, so it is quite late. You must not expect much this time.

I intend sending a letter which I received yesterday to Emma and when she receives it she may let you see you must keep it to yourself, as it is too good a joke on me to be made known. By the way I will send it to her in this as her letter was so large I could not send it in that so you can give it to her and then you can see it.

Give my regards to the Fowler girls and friends.

Your Affectionate Brother
Edward

P.S. Direct to Eastport, Miss.



No comments:

Post a Comment