February 24, 1865

Hd Qrs 1st Brig 3rd Div 16th Army Corps
New Orleans La Feb 24 1865

Dear Mother,

We arrived at this place on the afternoon of the 21st. It has rained continually since then, with the exception of a few hours after our arrival. We had a very pleasant trip down the river. I thought I had seen fine dwellings and large Plantations before but nothing to compare with those I saw comming down the river from Natches to New Orleans. Each plantation is a town of itself. It is almost impossible for me to describe some of the dwellings, or rather Mansions for such they are, and as you near New Orleans the perfume from the Orange groves and gardens reaches you on the river although you are some distance from them. I have had the pleasure of picking quite a number of Oranges since landing, the trees are full of them, but the quality of them is not as fine as though they were the first growth. This is what they call the second the first was ripe about two months ago. They use these "so I'm told" mostly for making Preserves for which I should think they would be excellent as they have just enough of acid in them.

Everything looks like summer here or coming summer. The Fruit trees are in bloom, and flowers in abundance. I have not been in the City yet. "Our Camp is some four miles below it" on the old battle ground of 1813 or 1814 I forget which. Our head Quarters is at the House which was occupied by the British for Hd Qrs. of Lt General Beckingham, Keen and Gibbs but then it is none the better for that as than is just as good "if not better" but not quite as high rank" sett of Officers occupying it now.

Since we came here we have received orders that we are no longer the Detachment of the Army of the Tenn. but the 16th A Corps so when you write you may direct to the 16th A.C. This place reminds me of New York as far as shipping goes, as around the City the masts of the vessels looks like a forest of dead trees striped of their branches.

We cannot tell how soon or in what direction we will move from this point, but I hope we will remain here long enough for it to clear up for I would like to see the City before leaving. I should dislike very much to leave here and being so near without seeing New Orleans. You must excuse my writing as it is written with a quill pen and a poor one at that. Give my love to all.

Your Affectionate Son
Edward



No comments:

Post a Comment