May 12, 1865

Note: The language used to refer to black soldiers is obviously offensive - and, unfortunately, a reflection of the attitudes of the time. I have chosen to leave the transcription unedited so as not to sanitize or hide history.



Head Quarters 3rd Division 16th A.C.
Montgomery Ala. May 12th 1865

Dear Mother

Your letter of the 8th of April came to hand a day or so ago. I also received one from Emma which I answered soon after receiving. These being the first letters received since leaving Spanish Fort on the 9th inst. which place surrendered to our Division the night previous I suppose it would be useless for me to attempt to give you any report of the Seige and Capture of that place, as I have seen a more graphic and minute detail of it in Northern papers than my pen is capable of giving. I expect to be home soon and will then try to give you a verbal account of it. We marched to Blakely (distance 5 miles) with the intention of participating in the seige of that place but it surrendered on the afternoon of our arrival at that point. We remained thare until the 13th Inst. when we took up the line of march for Montgomery Ala. arrived here on the evening of the 25th and are now comfortably situated for the balance of our time, I hope. That is if they do not think the nigger troops better than us and leave them here to garrison the place and send us off on another tramp. The paroled prisoners from Lees Army are coming in in large numbers and from what they say they appear satisfied that the Southern Confederacy is played out though some of them Say they intend joining Kirby Smith "who is West of the Miss. River" and fighting us still, but I think the majority of them have seen enough. As the Sergeant in making up the Mail to send I must close hoping to hear from you soon I remain

Your Affectionate Son
E.G. Stevens

We have not been paid yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment