February 28, 1863

Notes: Robert was initially buried in Elmwood Cemetery as noted below. After the war, Union soldiers were moved to the Memphis National Cemetery. Robert is buried there - but does not have a marked grave. The "Dr. Beers" mentioned in this letter may have been Edwin A. Beers, who is listed as a 2nd Assistant Surgeon for the 72nd Illinois.



Memphis, Tenn. February 28th, 1863
Dear Mother,

We are to leave Memphis tomorrow. We go off on rather short notice. It is now 10 o'clock P.M. and we just received the marching orders to be on the board the transport by 7 o'clock in the morning, so we will have rather a bussy night of it, striking tents, packing boxes etc. But as it is a beautiful night moonlight and quite warm it will not go very hard with us. The worst thing I hate going for just now is I have a dreadful sore throat, but I guess it will be well in a few days. I expect we go down the river towards Vicksburg, but hardly think we will go all the way thare just yet. I think we will only go as far as Lake Providence, and then we will go up the Red River, as that is my surmise. I suppose that you have received the money I sent you before this. I sent it to Chicago by Dr. Beers and he was to have sent it to you by express; twenty $20 dollars. That allotment made at Chicago by me did not work. It did by some, but I believe that they had to sign another paper at Cairo. I was out to the cemetary today and visited Roberts grave. He is in the Elmwood Cemetary, which is a beautiful place. It is full of evergreens and there are some splendid vaults and monuments in it. I think surpasses anything I ever saw. Well I suppose I must stop and go to work. Give my love to all. Kiss the little ones for me. You cannot complain of my not writing often lately. I have written every week, and have not heard from you for some time.

Your Affectionate
Son Edward

P.S. Direct your letters to
Cairo, Ill. To follow Regiment
Quimby's Division 1st Brigade



No comments:

Post a Comment