November 13, 1864

Camp in Field
Nashville, Tenn. Nov 13, 1864

Dear Mother,

We arrived at this point this afternoon. We have had a pleasant trip of it from Cairo. The Cumberland is a beautiful river, much prettier than I expected. We passed Fort Donelson in the night so I could not tell what sort of place it was, but from what I could see by moonlight I should say it was rather a lonesome place. I was in hopes we would pass it by daylight. We march from this place tomorrow for the front. We all expect a hard campaign before us, much harder than we have yet experienced, but then I think we are all able for it. 

I hope you have received the money and carpet bag I sent from Cairo. Give my love to all. You must not expect long letters now as we have to do things in a hurry now but I will write often and let you know whare we are if nothing more. 
Your Affectionate
Son Edward

P.S. I write this on my knapsack. Direct your letters to Via Cairo, Ill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment