February 8, 1865

This website has some information on the steamer Kate Kinney, on which Edward wrote the following letter.







On board Steamer Kate
Kinney; Near Cairo Ill Feb. 8/65


Dear Mother,


We left Eastport Miss. yesterday morning. We are on our way down the Miss River, but to what point I cannot exactly tell, but l think New Orleans. While at Eastport I wrote you several letters. Have not heard from you for a long time. I received a letter from Emma a few days before leaving there, dated Jany 12th and the day after received one from her dated Nov. 11th. Sometime on the road. It looks rather strange to me to see snow and ice, which we have in abundance. It is something I had not expected to see this winter, but we will soon be whare it will be warm again and I cannot say that I'm sorry for it as I cannot stand the cold as well as I thought I could. I thought we had had cold weather- at Eastport but that was nothing to what it is here. I do not know whether you can read this it is rather hard work trying to write as the boat shakes as bad as the cars ever do, and I do not suppose we will stay long enough at Cairo to write there so you must make out what you can and let the rest go. I'm now at Brigade Hd Quarters, clerking for Capt. Carter, who is Inspector-­­General for the Brigade. When you write direct your letters as usual to the Regiment. I will get them just as soon as all the letters go through Hd Q first. Love to all


Your Affectionate Son
Edward G. Stevens


P.S. Direct Via Cairo





No comments:

Post a Comment