January 22, 1865

Edward's family originally moved from England to Canada in the 1840s. They moved through Prince Edward's Island and Nova Scotia before heading to the United States. His mention of "Machias" is in reference to Machias, Maine, where his family is known to have lived as recorded in the 1850 Census. The subsequently moved to New York state, where Edward attended school at Flushing - before settling in Aurora, Illinois. Edward's father Robert naturalized in 1856 and passed away in 1859, leaving his mother a widow with several small children. Before entering military service, Edward moved to Galesburg, Illinois, where he found work - and where two sisters also resided. As can be read in the letters - financial issues were of constant concern.


Eastport, Miss. Jany 22nd, 1865

Dear Mother,

We are once more in our old camp. We returned last night. Our expedition went to Iuka and Corinth. We had no fighting as we expected we would before we started. At Iuka thare was only a few guerillas who left as soon as we made our appearance and returned as soon as we was out of sight. Iuka has been quite a pretty summer resort, which it was before the war. The Iuka Springs Hotel is still standing which is a splendid building and quite a number of large houses which I think was for the purpose of boarding those spending summers at the springs with the exception of some few small houses this is all of the town that is left. All the water around the place has a very fine taste. I did not go up to see the mineral springs as we only remained thare a short time. Iuka is ten miles from this place - from thare we marched to Corinth. At this place thare was a brigade of cavalry belonging I suppose to Forrests command, who evacuated the place at our advance, for which we all thanked them, for they could have given us a pretty fight before we could have gone into the place for all we had a division of cavalry and one of infantry and a battery of artillery. Corinth is very strongly fortified, I think stronger than any place I have seen yet. I tell you it looked rough to look out from the forts and see what ground we would have had to charge over to reach them had they given us battle. Corinth is mostly burnt. The Rebels burnt the Tishmingo Hotel before leaving, which was said to have been a splendid building. We remained thare two hours. Some of our own men burnt a number of houses before we left. They said they did it just for fun - I think it is rather poor fun for the owners.

We had a very hard time of it, much harder than _________ twenty two miles and the second twenty six. The other two days we didn't march quite as much. The last day it rained and was quite muddy, but I do not feel very sorry that we went now for I can have the satisfaction of saying I have seen the two oldest battle grounds. Thare is some talk of our corps going to Shermans Army. How much truth thare is in the rumor, I cannot say. I should like the trip very well. We would go by the way of N. York. I think thare would be a lot of sick soldiers then. It will be sport for one who is used to the ocean to see the others in their deplorable condition such as nothing but sea sickness can give. I do not know whether I would have it again or not. I hope not, for I have never forgotten how I felt coming from Machias and I think once in my life enough to satisfy me. I suppose you have received the two letters I wrote before starting on the expedition.

I have not been paid yet. I would like to hear from you before we are if you think you will need it I will draw and run the risk of your getting it. Love to all.

Your Affectionate Son
Edward Stevens



No comments:

Post a Comment