February 15, 1865

Head Qrs 1st Brigade 3rd Division
Detachment Army of the Tenn.
Vicksburg Miss. Feb. 15th 1865

My Dear Mother,

Your letter bearing date of the 2nd came to hand this morning. We arrived here day before yesterday. We are still on the "Steamer" or rather our head-qrs. are. The troops have all disembarked and part of the camp and garrison equipage had been unloaded when we received orders to stop. At first it appeared to be the intention to have us remain at this post, but now it appears as though we would move on down the river. But matters are so mixed, and orders countermanding one another that it is almost impossible to form any idea of what we will do or what be our destination. As far as I'm interested one place will suit me as well as another, but as far as the troops are concerned l suppose they would prefer remaining and have a chance to recruit up after so long a campaign.

Yesterday I took to myself and visited some of my old acquaintances and had quite a pleasant time generally. Took dinner with Free Campbell. Spent part of the afternoon with some of the fair daughters of the South (a great “failing” which you undoubtedly know I have, an admirer of the fair sex) I also spent a short time at the Old Hospital. Looks the same as usual. In the evening I attended the Theatre with a young friend of mine (who by the way paid the bill, my being minus the greenbacks) and enjoyed it very much after being away from anything of the kind for so long a time. After that I went home with him and remained until after breakfast this morning, and am now feeling much better for it and more like work than before. I had been rather unwell for a few days previous but feel quite well now. I think young ladies must have some healing qualities about them, dont tell any of them so however for they have conceit enough in themselves already.

I wrote to you from Cairo Ill and also from Memphis Tenn. (at which place I saw Delos Hawkins and Steven Estus). which I suppose you have received ere this.

I'm very much obliged for those stamps sent me. They are the first had since leaving Nashville. Give my love to all.

Your Affectionate Son
Edward G Stevens

P.S. Direct Via Cairo, Ill



No comments:

Post a Comment