January 29, 1864

McPherson Hospital
Vicksburg Miss January 29, 1864

Dear Mother,

lt has been a long time since I have received a letter from you, but suppose you have written to me. You I suppose have received my last letter long before this. I received a letter from Lydia the other day, but have not answered it yet, but will soon. We are having very warm weather at present, so that is quite uncomfortable. Am in hopes that it will soon get colder. It looks very much like rain this evening and hope it may, for the streets are quite dusty. There is quite a large force leaves here tomorrow for Jackson Miss. I expect they will have quite a fight before they reach that point, and most likely one when they get thare. Our forces will number from fifteen to twenty thousand. I do not know the number of the enemy, but probably about the same as ours. I should like to go on the expedition very much, and if thare was another druggíst here I would try hard to go, perhaps I may as it is. Dr. Powell intends going, and he may take me with him. Thare was a grand prize drill (of the 3rd Division) for a splendid banner presented by Genl McPherson and was carried off the field by the 124th Regt. Ill. V. It was quite a time of rejoicing for them, and so it might be, for they took it from some of the old Regts. who ought to drill better than a new one. They are now in camp on Black River. They are going on this expedition.
Mother I send you ten dollars would send more but thare is no certainty of you getting it, as our mails are so intercepted that it is very risky sending much at a time. Well as it is getting late I will close. Give my love to all. Kiss the little ones for me.

Your Affect Son
Edward Stevens
P.S. Direct as usual

No comments:

Post a Comment