February 18 or 19, 1863

The Mr. Howland referenced in this letter may have been Hiram J. Howland of Robert's 124th Infantry, Company E. The date appears to be an 18 with the 8 possibly crossed through and an attempt to write a 19. Elmwood Cemetery records indicate that Robert was buried on the 19th - so it is unclear whether he died on the 17th - as many records indicate - or on the 18th.







Head Quarters 72nd Regt. Ill. Vol.
Memphis Tenn. Feb. 18th '63

Dear Mother,

I must send you sorry, sorry news. Robert is dead. He died yesterday morning at the Adams Hospital. It makes me feel worse to think that I was not thare at the time of his death. The last time I saw him was some twelve days ago. He was then much better. We then was removed some four miles from town, and as I was not well enough to go and see him for some days, I did not see him, but heard from him almost every day. And when I did feel well enough to go to town, our Regt. was ordered to go on an expedition and I had to go. We got home this noon and as soon as I got home I was told of his death. I started right off to his Regt. and found that he had been buried. I will find out the place tomorrow and if it is your wish I will try and send him home. His Captain said he intended doing so, but he was going away the next day and could not attend to it. Mr. Howland was with him at the time of his death. He spoke of you all. His (illegible) will be sent to you in a day or so. All he had goes to you. You had better put the amount of pay due him from the U.S. in some persons hands for collection. It may be that the Captain will promise to do it but you cannot depend on them, as they have so many such cases to attend to that they are liable to forget it. I cannot tell exactly when I will get my pay. We are going to Vicksburg soon, perhaps next week. As it is time to go to bed I must close. Give my love to all.




Your Affectionate Son




Edward














No comments:

Post a Comment