May 3, 1863

Head Quarters 6th Division
Hospital Near Vicksburg,
Miss. May 3rd 1863
Dear Mother,

Your letter came to hand a day or so ago. I wrote you something like a week ago telling you where we was. I tell you we have busy times of it here since then, but we are beginning to have easier times of it now as we have sent most of the wounded off. I wish you could only see our hospital and grounds. They are kept in such good order, and if you could only see what a table we have set with the finest of china, which must be worth at least one thousand dollars. We got them on the grounds. They was sent from Vicksburg for safe keeping, they not thinking we could even get here. I think they will be kept safe, so safe that the owners will never get them again and it is nothíng more than fair, for if they will wound our men I think they should furnish dishes for them.
I do not know when we will have the pleasure of going into Vicksburg. I'm afraid it will be some time yet, as they seem determined to hold that point. Our men are fighting with them every day to some extent. The artillery is at work all the time. Last night we had the most terrific firing I ever heard. Thunder was no comparison to it. It fairly made the earth shake. They kept it up for something like three hours. It seems lonesome now if they cease firing for a short time. I think we are killing more of their men than they are of ours. Oh, I forgot to tell you that Dr. Powell was division Surgeon now and that gives me conciderable more work. As Julius Yaker is going home I thought it would be a good chance to write. He will be down to see you when he comes to Aurora, and I will send you some money by him, $10 dollars (ten doll) and I want yours, Emmas and Lydias pictures when he returns. I would send you more money but it is not very safe to send much by one person. As is very frequently the case, they are gobbled up as we call it, by the Rebbs. I have been waiting for some time for a chance to send some. Yaker can tell you better how I get along than I can write it. You will know it when you see him. Give my love to all. Good night. (I'm tired out.)
Your Affectionate Son
Edward
Oh, I received Lydias letter and will ans. soon
Now, you must be sure and send me those pictures.
E
Direct the same as usual.
E


No comments:

Post a Comment