October 23, 1864

Vicksburg Miss. Oct 23, 1864

Dear Mother,

You must be wondering why I do not write. I thought I would not write until we received pay, which we should have had nearly two months ago (we now have six months pay due) and have had the promise of being paid the next week or two but the next week has not arrived yet. The money is here and do not see why they do not settle with us. I know you must stand very much in want of it. If we had been paid at the proper time I should have been home before this, as I had a very good chance then. I may now if they pay us within a week or so, come home and spend part of the winter but cannot tell certain, but shall if thare is any possible chance. I should like to be thare in time to vote for McClellan for our next President. Its true I do not like the Chicago platform (but what does the platform amount to if the man is only right) and some of his supporters such as Vallandigham and his crew, but they do not compose the whole party, nor are they the rulers of it. I think if Mc was elected the war would soon find its grave, and the Union once more be restored to its former place. I think it a shame the way some of our northern papers scandalize McClellan, one who has been fighting for us ever since the war began, and for them to now call him a traitor yes, and worse even than that if anything can be. Our Generals here have stopped the sale of all papers that uphold him, just as though a soldier was not as much of a man as he ever was and as capable of judging for himself now as he was before he became one. If' a man is to be influenced by the mearly reading of a paper that is opposite to his views I would not give much for him. He would be a disgrace to either party. It makes me so mad when I think how things are conducted I almost wish I never had any thing to do with the Army.

Thare is some talk of our Regiment leaving here, and going to Georgia. I would like to go very well but would rather stay the winter out here as we have a very comfortable place. But I am afraid we will have to go as our Corps is thare, and General Ransom is trying hard to get us thare if we go we will have to go to the front which is not a very desirable place just now, although it is considered an honor to be thare. We are having quite cool nights here now but the days are quite warm. Last night we had a heavy frost but from the weather today you would not think of frost. I have been in my short sleeves ever since morning. Give my love to all. Kiss the little ones for me. I may be home before I write again but do not say for a certainty.

Your Affectionate
Son Edward


No comments:

Post a Comment