February 19, 1865

Hd. Qrs. 1st Brigade 3rd Div Det. A.T.
on "Steamer Kate Kinney"
Vicksburg, Miss Feb 19th 1865

My Dear Mother,

You remember when I last wrote you I could not tell wether we would stay here or not. The next morning we went off the Boats and went in Camp about four miles out side of the City with, as we then supposed with the intention of remaining for a short time. Well it was a short time but shorter than I expected. But this morning orders came to move on the Boats again which remained at the landing when we got off from them so we are on the same Boats. We will go down the River but to what point is not known yet. Enclosed I send you a Magnolia leaf (which is a very small one) they remain in this condition all winter, the tree grows to a large size, and with these the Holly's and several others which remain green all winter it makes the woods look summer like all the time.

The weather is quite warm and pleasant. As I can think of nothing more and not much time to spare I will close. Give my love to all.

Your Affectionate Son
Edward.


No comments:

Post a Comment