March 22, 1865

Head Quarters 3rd Division 16th Army Corps,
Office of the A.A.I. General

Dauphine Island Mch 22 1865

Dear Mother,

Since our arrival at this point I have commenced several times to write you, but something would turn up for me to do what would prevent my doing so. We arrived here on the we left "Peacocks Landing on Lake Pontchartrain" on the morning 16th Inst. and arrived here the afternoon of the 17th. The first day we were out we had a pleasant time but toward night a storm came up and continued all night, it blew a perfect hurricane towards morning. I hardly expected our Steamer would stand it, she being a Miss. River boat and those you know are not built to stand any thing like a sea. We anchored that night under the Lea of Horn Island which was all that saved us.

This Island is composed of sand and partly covered with Pines Cedars and the Palmettos. Oysters and fish are in abundance. Day before yesterday the boys went out and were gone but a few hours and returned with a six mule wagon load of them so we had quite a time opening and eating them yesterday and they got a seine and drew quite a quantity of fish, so we have been living like heros. The troops have all left the island and are marching toward Mobile, we Clerks were left behind with the transportation we expect going over today or tomorrow. They keep up a continual roar of Cannon of toward Mobile but wat success our forces are having I cannot say, shall probably know by tomorrow night.

Yesterday I went through Fort Gains, which is a splendid fort I think the strongest I have seen. We have not been payed yet I'm in hopes we shall get it soon, as you must stand in need of it very much. Give my love to all. You must excuse my short letter as my hand are so sore and stiff with opening Oysters, it is hard work for me to write.

Your Affectionate Son
Edward G. Stevens

I have written several letters to you since our landing at New Orleans La.


No comments:

Post a Comment