December 20, 1864

This letter gives an account of the Battle of Nashville.


Camp Near Columbia, Tenn.
Dec. 20th 1864

Dear Mother,

Your letter of the 8th has been received. The others have not been received yet. We attacked Hood's army on the 15th and have driven him something like forty miles. We have had some very hard fighting. The loss is heavy on both sides. We have captured forty eight artillery and about six thousand prisoners. I expect Hood will give us battle again today at Columbia which is four miles from here. If he does it will be a hard one as we have to cross Duck River before we can get at him. The weather since we left Nashville has been dreadful. It has rained all the time and the mud almost knee deep. This morning is the first time I've been dry since the 16th. It looks very much as though we are going to have fine weather now but cannot tell as it is so changeable. Our Army nevertheless is in good spirits and we think in a short time Hoods followers will be numbered with the thing that was. I wish you would send me a Chicago Tribune with an Account of the Battle of Franklin in it. I think it was in the issue of the 10th, and I wish when you write you would send me a small fine tooth comb. Send a small but strong one. I expect we will start soon so I must stop and pack up. Love to all.

Your Affectionate Son Edward


No comments:

Post a Comment