January 13, 1867

Pontiac Livingston Co. Illinois Jany 13/67

Dear Mother,
Your letter beaing the date of Dec. 16th was not received until a few days ago; and I came very near not getting it. I happened to be looking over a Bloomington paper the day before I left thare (which was a few days since) and saw a letter advertised for me which proved to be from you.
William has been very anxious for me to come up here and help him for some time. as he has more work than he can get along with very well. I would have been here sooner but could not get a settlement with the firm I was working for and after all I left there without it I do not much expect to get anything from there now until Spring trade opens with them as I learnt that they are now considerably more in debt than they can pay this winter. I shall however go down some time this winter and try them again.
I suppose that you are aware of Williams marriage. He has a very fine little woman every body here speaks well of her, both young and old and that is generally a very good way of judging of a person in a town like Pontiac. I was not aware of his being married until he came to Bloomington and you can imagine my surprise when he took me to his room at the Hotel and introduced me to his wife. She is not what you would call handsome but she is quite pretty, and quite small. She has a very good education and is lady like in every respect and think she will make him a splendid wife to tell the truth I think I’m a little jealous of him although I’m not much acquainted with her yet.
Mother I wrote you some time ago with reference to the act for the equatizations of Bounties which provide one hundred dollars to all soldiers or heirs, who enlisted in 61 or 62 and to which you are entitled by said act. Have you made any arrangements to have it procured for you. If have not I would enquire into the matter and see if you can now procure the same, which I think you can, as you have a right to it. I left my papers in Bloomington with the lawyer for collection some time last September but up to my leaving there I heard nothing from them.
William and his wife went out to her home on yesterday and will not return until the middle of this week. I think they live some sixteen or seventeen miles from here so they must have had a very unpleasant ride of it as yesterday was a cold disagreeable day, mixed with snow and sleet. I'm in hopes that the weather will be so as to not detain him any longer than he intended staying as the work we are now doing the parties are in a hurry for.
I attended S. School this morning and had my old place as librarian offered to me again but I declined, not knowing how long I should remain here, but united myself with the Pastors Bible class which is held in the S. School. Think I shall like it very much.
I fully intended spending the holidays at home this winter but circumstances over which I had no control prevented me from so doing, but hope to be able to see you all this spring, or sooner. (Am very sorry to hear you and the children have been so unwell but hope that ere this reaches you you will all be well.
Give my Love to Emma and all the children, kiss Saba for me, hoping to hear from you soon I remain
Your affectionate son,
Edward
P.S. Direct to Pontiac





No comments:

Post a Comment