January 17, 1865

Eastport Miss Jany 17th, 1865

Dear Mother,

I wrote to you yesterday stating we would remain here for sometime, but today we received orders to be ready to start tomorrow on a three day's march or rather have three days rations with us. We may return to this camp again or we may not, but am in hopes we will, as I hate to think of giving up our houses we have worked so hard at to make ourselves comfortable. But such is the fate of a soldiers life. I'm quite tired tonight. I've been writing on Pay and Clothing Rolls all day, and that is rather hard for a person who has written no more than I have for the last three or four months. Love to all.
Good night.
Your Affectionate Son
Edward Stevens
P.S. I drew new hat shoes and pants today and feel quite proud of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment